Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Work, politics, power for the sake of power

Those of you who I've talked to in the last month already know this, but Paul and I are trying to devise a better way to strike a sustainable work-life balance.

The good news: we're both on the same page, agreeing that working all day and then coming home and working on cakes until 12, 1, or 2 in the morning and then doing it all over again for a week straight totally ain't going to cut it.

Before we recently talked about it, I was kinda afraid he would think I was trying to abandon this business, or him, or something like that. But it's just that I want to also have a life (see friends, exercise, not have a disaster in the kitchen and living room and not-yet-unpacked boxes everywhere else). Paul's with me on that, and I'm so relieved we both hit this point at the same time.

Anyway, I certainly welcome creative ways to approach the whole thing, if anyone has been sitting out there with an "It's so obvious, you just have to do this..." thought in their head.


On the political front, I'm pleased as punch that McCain picked Palin:
Obama is a candidate with national experience (as well as state and local, thank you) whose first executive decision was to choose a statesman with extensive experience and long-standing relationships with international leaders....

While McCain's first executive decision was to choose a polarizing figure who has no national experience, no international rapport to bring to the table, and who may be - based only on the known medical history of her candidate - far less than one heartbeat away from being commander in chief. I could not have imagined a better way to weaken the ticket.
But fortunately, I didn't have to: McCain campaign manager Rick Davis declared recently (seriously)
"This election is not about issues," said Davis. "This election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates."

Not only is that deeply disrespectful of the people - on both sides - who recognize the weight of their vote and who really are working hard to educate themselves and their communities, but it's an explicit surrender to a campaign of image: style over substance.
Agree with McCain or not, I expect far far more of a leader of his stature.


Conversely, this is the first election when I don't want to see the 'other guy' just smeared; I kinda like McCain because I don't believe he's actually a horrible guy. But patriot does not = capable executive leader, no matter the years of service or prior experience. I have no doubt I'd be one of the worst presidents possible, but I still am deeply grateful for this country, and I plan to keep working to make it even better in the small ways that indivdual citizens can. Leave it better than how I found it.

Obama chose a running mate with an eye towards effective governance of this complex and unique country, while it appears from every angle that McCain chose a running mate with an eye towards getting elected.*

Regardless of party, personality, or ancestry, I know I trust someone who wants to get elected to make things better more than I'll ever trust someone who just wants the job for the sake of having it.




*For the record, I really disliked the following prior Democratic candidates: Kerry, Edwards, Clinton, and many of their peers in the field either because of their policies or backgrounds...
All by way of saying I'm not a knee-jerk democrat. My loyalty isn't automatic, and I will vote for the better guy/gal in any election regardless of party.

No comments: