Saturday, May 31, 2008

DNA & Me

I recently got interested in the migratory history that my DNA would reveal after watching an astoundingly fascinating short series called African American Lives 2. This program showed a variety of African Americans what their DNA said about their ancestral origins and unknown heritages. The featured individuals, and no doubt most of the audience, were usually surprised by what they learned, and sometimes surprised to learn how far away their beliefs about their backgrounds were from the reality.

So, Paul and I ended up getting these testing kits from the National Genographic project. We sent in our DNA samples, and are now tracking the progress of our samples online - this is so cool!

Right now our samples are in step 4 of 6 - DNA analysis - and I look forward to seeing what comes of it. Although I expect it to confirm my self-described Euro mutt status, it'll still be neato to learn the details.

Also, Paul's ancestry on his mom's side is almost totally unknown, so this will be a great chance to learn more about his maternal lineage.
Stay tuned for more details!

No comments: