Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy First of November, get ready to sleep in: Random Dispatches from South Seattle

(singing)
"Uh huh, I voted...
Oh yeah, I voted...
I voted early...
And mailed my ballot."

It isn't a good song, but you get the idea. Have you voted? Do you plan to? Or will I sing this song alone?

Unrelated: Set your clocks back 1 hour tonight.

Also, ran out of heating oil at home last night, much much to our surprise. It's actually colder inside than out, and we were under the impression that the 300 gallon tank was topped off when we moved in. So, we have the distinct honor of buying 300 gallons of diesel oil Monday. $3.30/gallon.
Oh boy?

But, we do have two good fireplaces and a couple space heaters, so it'll all work out. Paul is currently building a fire downstairs and it's a little smokey... kinda hoping that'll fade soon.

Halloween was fun with Jason and Rebecca - chill, had dinner, handed out candy, watched Deathproof (Tarantino), played video games. Dressed up like a sock monster for work. You know, the monster that steals one sock? At night dressed like a catholic school girls cuz it wasn't work and was a little more fun.

Paul, on the other hand, dressed up like Caribou Barbie. Good times had by all.

Did some recent fun cakes, feeling really proud of the stuff we do, and we've now got the occasional intern, which is pretty cool.

Went and visited my parents and grandmother in Oregon 2 weeks ago. It was really nice to see everyone, even though it was a quick weekend trip.

Now at a phase where I feel like giving all my stuff away. I think I actually have more clothes that don't fit me than do, and that's stupid. Lots of books I have just for having and maybe even for seeming like an interesting person, which I don't have the energy or enthusiasm for. There's nothing like trying to lift a heavy box to remind me that back strain does not, in fact, impress others. :-)

I also find that I increasingly envy me of about 10 years ago: When I was living in Japan in a teeny tiny flat, I was very efficient, organized, and had minimal stuff. It felt good to live so thinly.

And while I've embraced a married-and-running-a-business-from-home lifestyle, it's starting to dawn on me that I don't actually need to have quite so much stuff just because.
To his credit, Paul is starting to come around more, too.

On a different note, my brother's girlfriend developed a staph infection, apparently from visiting her sister in the hostpital (not staph-infection related). It creeps me out that someone so healthy and young (early 30's) is getting such an infection, and the emergence of MRSA seems increasingly alarming. I don't know if that's what she had, but she's apparently healing now and I'm really glad to hear it!

Last note: holy cowbell, the food at Machiavelli is so damn good. Anyone up for an Italian dinner in seattle, just call me and we'll hit this place. I promise you won't be disappointed.

No comments: