Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Visit to the ranch

I recently visited my family at their 90 acre ranch - otherwise known as 42North - in southern Oregon. It was a nice relaxing trip and I got to hang with my mom, dad, and grandma a good bit.

It really is very beautiful and peaceful down there.

Mom is growing a pot of mini daffodils


Saw some elk - blurry but true:

The south fork of the Coquille River is running beautifully






















Can you guess which side of the pot faces north for most of the day?

















And I even came across an ancient relic: this is a picture of a hot watter bottle holder that my cousin Sandy made for me when I was a wee little girl.... I'd forgotten all about it until mom dug it out of the basement looking for something else. Apparently I had leg cramps a lot when I was little.
The nose and eyes are velvet, and the hooves are all pink satin. I think this is so cute.

2 comments:

Gledwood said...

those are amazing photos... esp the woodland water ones...

can i ask you something i don't get as i'm british/londoner

what's the difference tween a ranch and a farm?

please rsvp chez moi gledwood vol 2, much appreciated!

;->...

Z_gal said...

Gledwood - Hi, I tried to figure out how to track you down to send you an answer, and decided that leaving a comment on your blog wasn't the best choice because there are so many comments I was afraid it'd get lost.
As I understand it, the term Ranch is applied to a property that focuses on raising livestock - we have cows and used to have goats and sheep (stinky little knee-breakers) - whereas a Farm is focused on producing crops. Of course, it's not unusual for a mix of both; then I think it's up to the owner/farmer/rancher to decide what to call it.
Hope this helps!
And the sky photos on your blog are striking.