Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"Okay, okay, I get it! I didn't get the job!"

So I'm applying for a bunch of federal, state, and local jobs. All in all, the application process isn't too bad since a lot of it is automated.

Kind of nice, really, to live in an age when employers prefer to get resumes online.

Anyway, the flipside of that automated convenience was highlighted yesterday when I opened my email and saw multiple messages about a job with DHS I'd applied for. Not 1, not 2, not 3, but 6 separate messages letting me know I didn't get the job.

I think the funny part is that the messages weren't all duplicates - there were 3 different versions! One version said I was qualified but not the most qualified, one said I was qualified but not selected and that my resume would remain on file, and one said that I was not qualified and why don't I go jump off a cliff or something.

One job, 6 rejection letters, no waiting.

The bigger question this brings to mind is this: should I be concerned that for a single position, a federal agency appears to have three different HR departments making decisions? Can such an agency really be adequately handling the security of our borders, ports, imported commerce, and so on in conjunction with other federal agencies? And aren't Republicans - who created DHS - supposed to be in favor of smaller government??

Eh, what do I know. I can't sleep because I'm stressed about trying to start up our cookie business, so I'm watching Women's World Cup at 5 am...

Go USA!

No comments: