Wednesday, December 24, 2008

All I Want for Christmas - Reprised

At the risk of seeming greedy, I very recently realized that I had one more item for my Christmas list: To be in Seattle with Paul for Christmas. And I am thankful indeed that this wish will come true!

You see, we went for a short 2.5 day visit to see our friends in Sacramento over the weekend. As we were leaving, Seattle was getting a big blanket of snow. In our absence, Seattle enough snow to shut down the airport and cancel our flight. Our return was scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, but I certainly didn't feel confident that the flight would actually go. Then, Paul and I both got nasty headcolds.

We finally made it to Seattle and immediately went to the store, since we heard more bad weather was on the way - just getting throught he checkout line took 55 minutes because the cashiers appeared to be untrained seasonal help rather than people of average intelligence who could figure out the cost of a bunch of grapes. Seriously, our ice cream melted while waiting behind only 5 customers.

Then it took about 40 minutes to make it the last 40 yards of our street, but we finally slid/rolled our way into the driveway a little after 10 pm.

Lastly, this all also means that we won't be able to drive down to my parents' ranch for xmas this year - I'm really bummed about it, but can't risk being stranded again (on the way down OR back), and I'm positive my family doesn't need our headcolds. ["Merry Christmas, We got you a little something!"]

So, that's a lot of complaining, and while I generally try to stay positive, sometimes things just go crappy for a bit.

But now that's all out of the way, I can also say this:
* Our house, yard, and neighborhood covered in snow are SO pretty!
* I LOVE being home with Paul
* Seeing our friends in Sac was a wonderful treat, and very affirming
* The game Killer Bunnies is a blast
* I miss California
* I especially miss my family at the holidays
* Building a fire on a cold wintery morning while it's snowing outside and I have nowhere to go is like a gift of time from the universe.
* Colds come and go, but cookies always taste good
* Artificial xmas trees are much nicer than I would have guessed
* The fact that any airline employee can deal with delayed passengers for days and still be nice may just be evidence of a higher being
* Cakewrecks.blogspot.com is still one of the funniest things I've seen
* I am thankful to & for more people than I can ever hope to personally acknowledge


Take care, stay warm, and I hope you are exactly where you want to be this year.

No comments: